News: Ministry of Home Affairs has introduced the ‘Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation (Adaptation of Central Laws) Third Order, 2020’.
What are the key changes made?
- Permanent residents: The term permanent residents of the State’ has been removed from important provisions of laws.No domicile or permanent resident certificate is required to buy land in Jammu and Kashmir.Urban or non-agricultural land can be sold to outsiders.
- Implementation of RERA: Real Estate (Regulation & Development) Act, 2016 has been notified in the J&K.
- Jammu and Kashmir Industrial Development Corporation(JKIDC): It has been established to acquire, promote and sell land for the purpose of industrial undertakings.
- Declaration of strategic area: An Army officer not below the rank of Corps Commander can declare an area as Strategic Area within a local area, only for direct operational and training requirements of the armed forces.
- Usage of agricultural land: No sale, gift, exchange or mortgage of the land shall be valid in favour of a person who is not an agriculturist. However, the government may allow transfer of land in favour of a person or an institution for the purpose of promotion of healthcare or senior secondary or higher or specialized education in J&K.
- Contract Farming: permits contract farming on agricultural lands. Nothing shall prohibit the transfer of ownership of land for ‘contract farming’, or grant of lease or mortgage for