News: The government has launched Phase-3 of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY).
- PMGSY is a scheme of Ministry of Rural Development. It was launched in 2000.
- Aim: To ensure rural connectivity.
- to provide all weather road connectivity to unconnected habitations.
- to boost socioeconomic development of the areas
About Phase-3 of PMGSY
- It will be implemented from 2019-20 to 2024-25. The phase-3 proposes to consolidate roads measuring 1.25 lakh km in length
- It will also strengthen through routes and major rural links which connect habitations to Gramin Agricultural Markets (GrAMs), higher secondary schools and hospitals.
- Construction of bridges of up to 150m in plain areas and 200 m in Himalayan and northeastern states
- The funding pattern will be 90:10 between Centre and NE and Himalayan States and 60:40 between Centre and other States.
Road Connectivity Project for Left Wing Extremism Affected Area:
- It was launched in 2016 and is implemented under the PMGSY.
- Aim: to improve rural road connectivity to Left Wing Extremism Affected Districts in India.
- The roads taken under the project are Other District Roads, Village Roads and Major District Roads that are important from a security point of view