- The Delhi High Court has sought the response of the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) on a plea seeking directions to remove the dual control of Assam Rifles and bring it under the Defence Ministry.
- The petition was filed on the grounds that the administrative control of Assam Rifles lies with the Home Ministry,while the operational control is with the Defence Ministry.The dual leadership has caused administrative problems and many Assam Rifle personnel were being deprived of promotion due to dual control.
- The petitioner in its plea has also said that the objective and functions of Assam Rifles were that of a military and para military force and its categorisation as a police force was arbitrary,unreasonable and in violation of the rights of its personnel.
- The Assam Rifles is the oldest paramilitary force of India.Assam Rifles operates in the North Eastern part of India and complements the Indian Army in countering the insurgency and guarding the borders.
- The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) is chaired by the Prime Minister.The committee comprises of Minister of External Affairs,the Home Minister,the Finance Minister and the Defence Minister.
- The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) takes decision on (a)senior appointments in the national security apparatus (b)defence policy and expenditure and (c)generally all matters of India’s national security.
2 min read