- Prime Minister Narendra Modi for a national effort to protect and augment India’s water resources on the lines of the Swachh Bharat programme.
- He has made 3 requests and urged all Indians to take collective action to conserve water. The three requests are: a) making water conservation a mass movement like Swachh Bharat programme, b) share traditional methods of water conservation and c) extend information about individuals and NGOs so that an extensive database can be created of those working in the field of water conservation.
- Recently, the Indian government announced to launch Jal Shakti Abhiyan in 255 water-stressed districts. The programme will run from July 1st to September 15th 2019.
- Jal Shakti Abhiyan is a time-bound, mission mode, water conservation and irrigation efficiency campaign for water security in India.
- It aims at making water conservation and promotion of irrigation efficiency a ‘jan andolan’ (public campaign) through asset creation and communication campaigns.
6 min read