News:The National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM) is organizing a National workshop on Post Disaster Needs Assessment(PDNA).
- Post-Disaster Needs Assessment(PDNA) is a government-led exercise to assess the full extent of a disaster’s impact.
- The tool was developed by the UN Development Group, the World Bank and the European Union as one of the key commitments of their 2008 agreement to develop and use common assessment and recovery planning approaches in post-crisis settings.
- The assessments are carried out in the aftermath of earthquakes, cyclones, floods and droughts.
- The assessment will define the needs for recovery and to serve as a basis for designing a recovery strategy and guide donors’ funding.
- The assessment takes place with the support from the United Nations, the European Commission, the World Bank and other national and international actors.
National Institute of Disaster Management:
- NIDM is a premier institute for training and capacity development programs for managing natural disasters in India on a national as well as regional basis.
- The National Centre of Disaster Management(NCDM) constituted under an Act of Parliament in 1995 was re-designated to give the present name of National Institute of Disaster Management(NIDM) by the Disaster Management Act 2005.