News:Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) has achieved the target of giving 8 crore free cooking gas(LPG) connections to the poor nearly seven months ahead of schedule.
About Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY)
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojna is a scheme of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas.
- Aim:To replace unclean cooking fuels used in the most underprivileged households with clean and more efficient LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas).
- Objective of the scheme:(a)Empower women and protect their health (b)Reduce the serious health hazards associated with cooking based on fossil fuel (c)Reduce the number of deaths in India due to unclean cooking fuel and (d)To prevent young children from significant number of acute respiratory illnesses caused due to indoor air pollution.
- Beneficiaries:Under the scheme,an adult woman member of a below poverty line family identified through the Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC) is given a deposit-free LPG connection with financial assistance of Rs 1,600 per connection by the Centre.
- Target:Initially the target was installation of 5 crore LPG connections by 2019.But the target was revised to 8 crore which was to be achieved by 2019-20.
- Further,interest free loan is provided to purchase stove and refill by Oil Marketing Companies.
About LPG Panchayats:
- LPG Panchayat serves as a platform for interaction between those who received LPG cylinders under PMUY.
- It raises awareness among LPG users about proper use of clean fuel and its advantages.