News: The Prime Minister has digitally launched the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana(PMMSY) and also inaugurated the e-Gopala app.
- Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana(PMMSY): It is a flagship scheme for focused and sustainable development of the fisheries sector in the country as a part of the Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan.
- Nodal Ministry: Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries.
- Enhance fish production by an additional 70 lakh tonne and increase fisheries export earnings to Rs.1,00,000 crore by 2024-25.
- Double the incomes of fishers and fish farmers.
- Reduce post-harvest losses from 20-25% to about 10%.
- Generate an additional 55 lakhs direct and indirect gainful employment opportunities in the fisheries sector and allied activities.
- Investment and Duration: An estimated investment of Rs. 20,050 crore for a period of 5 years from financial year (FY) 2020-21 to FY 2024-25 in all States/Union Territories.
- Components: The scheme has two components — Central Sector Scheme(CS) and Centrally Sponsored Scheme(CSS).
- Other significant Features:
- The scheme Adopt ‘Cluster or Area-based Approaches’ and create fisheries clusters through backward and forward linkages.
- It focuses especially on employment generation activities such as seaweed and ornamental fish cultivation.
- e-Gopala App: It is a comprehensive breed improvement marketplace and information portal for direct use of farmers.
- Features: The app will provide solutions on the aspects of:
- Managing livestock including buying and selling of disease-free germplasm in all forms (semen, embryos, etc.).
- Availability of quality breeding services (Artificial Insemination, veterinary first aid, vaccination, treatment, etc.).
- Guiding farmers for animal nutrition and treatment of animals using appropriate ayurvedic medicine/ethnoveterinary medicine.
- Providing a mechanism to send alerts and inform farmers about various government schemes and campaigns in the area.