News:The fifth edition of the Asia Pacific Drosophila Research Conference (APDRC5) is being held at Pune,Maharashtra.
About the Conference:
- The Asia Pacific Drosophila Research Conference is a biennial conference.
- It is being organised in India for the first time by the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research(IISER).
- The conference aims to promote the interaction of Drosophila researchers in the Asia-Pacific region with their peers in the rest of the world.
- It brings together scientists from all over the world who use the fruit fly, Drosophila, as a model organism to address basic and applied questions.
- Drosophila are commonly known as fruit flies.
- It is derived from the Greek word drósos which means dew loving.
- They belong to the Droso–philidae family.
- The main distinguishing character of Drosophila is that they stay on fruits which are rotten.
- Drosophila is also one of the most widely-used and preferred model organisms in biological research across the world for the last 100 years.
- Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research(IISERs) are a group of premier public research institutions in India.
- They were established on the recommendation of the Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister who recommended the creation of new institutions devoted to science research and education.
- Six such Institutes have been established in Bhopal, Kolkata, Mohali, Pune, Thiruvananthapuram and Tirupati.