- The Defence Ministry has inaugurated Ujh Bridge in Kathua district and Basantar Bridge in Samba district of Jammu & Kashmir.
- The bridges have been constructed by Border Roads Organization (BRO) under Project Sampark.
- Ujh Bridge (1000 metre) is the longest bridge constructed by the BRO. The bridge also has the distinction of using the technology of Pre Cast Segmental Bridge with 60-metre span.
- The bridges will provide smooth connectivity and are vital for the mobility of security forces in the border areas.
- Project Sampark was raised by Border Roads Organisation (BRO) in 1975. It looks after the construction, improvement and maintenance of approximately 2,600km of strategic roads in the border district of Jammu, Kathua, Doda, Udhampur, Rajouri, Reasi and Poonch.
- The BRO executes road construction and maintenance works along the northern and western frontiers primarily to meet the strategic requirements of the army. It functions under the control of the Ministry of Defence since 2015.
2 min read