- The National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) and Roadis,a global transport infrastructure operator has said that they would jointly set up a platform to invest up to $2 billion in road projects in India.
- The platform aims of creating a large roads platform in the country.It will target the Toll Operate Transfer(TOT) models,acquisitions of existing road concessions and investment opportunities in the road sector.
- The Indian government introduced the TOT model in 2016 for monetisation of publicly-funded highways.The model has been developed to encourage private sector participation in the highways sector.Under the model,investors make a one-time lump sum payment in return for long-term toll collection rights backed by a sound tolling system.
- Roadis claims to be the largest European highway concession manager in India.It currently manages 1,892 kilometers of highways,divided among ten concessions in Mexico,Brazil,Spain,Portugal and India. According to the company’s 2017 annual report,it manages 710 KM of highways in India
- NIIF was set up in 2015 as an investment vehicle for funding commercially viable greenfield, brownfield and stalled projects in the infrastructure sector.NIIF invests in areas such as energy, transportation, housing,water,waste management and other infrastructure-related sectors in India.
2 min read