- Global food policy report has been released by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).The theme of the 2019 report is rural revitalisation.The report highlights the urgency of rural revitalization to address a growing crisis in rural areas.
- According to the report, the rural population constitutes 45.3% of the world’s total population.It has also said that at least 70% of the world’s population is extremely poor.
- The report has said that rural population suffers from (a)rapid population growth rates (b)inadequate job and enterprise creation (c)poor infrastructure (d)scarce financial services and (e)brunt of climate change impacts.
- The report adds that nearly 50% of rural youth all over the world do not have any formal job as they are either unemployed or underemployed.Further, almost one billion people,mostly living in rural areas of Africa and South Asia,still lack access to electricity.
- The report also says that growth rates varied greatly across the regions in the world.South Asia remained the fastest growing region in the world in 2018 as economic growth has continued to strengthen.
- IFPRI provides research-based policy solutions to sustainably reduce poverty and end hunger and malnutrition in developing countries.The headquarter of IFPRI is in Washington USA
6 min read