- South Korean President has said that he will work with the United States and North Korea to help them reach a denuclearization deal.
- South Korea would consult United States on ways to resume joint projects with North Korea, including tourism development at Mount Kumgang and the Kaesong industrial complex, both in North Korea.
- Korean conflict dates back to the war which began in 1950 when North Korea invaded South Korea following a series of clashes along the border.
- The inter-Korean war lasted for three years between 1950 and 1953, and is considered to be a proxy war between Soviet Union and the United States.Although a truce was reached in 1953 through the “Armistice Agreement”, both Korean regimes never officially ended the war.
- The agreement divided the Korean peninsula into two along the 38th Parallel and also provided for neutral international peace patrol.
1 min read