News:Odisha State Disaster Management Authority(OSDMA) has won the IT Excellence Award,2019 for its innovative mobile application called SATARK.
- SATARK stands for System for Assessing, Tracking and Alerting Disaster Risk Information based on Dynamic Risk Knowledge.
- SATARK is a web/smartphone based app for Early Warning Communication system(EWCS).
- The app has been developed by Odisha State Disaster Management Authority(OSDMA) in collaboration with the Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia(RIMES), Thailand
- The app provides real time watch, alert and warning information for different hazards like heat wave, lightning, droughts, ocean state information and floods.
- The app utilises a machine learning algorithm to self-learn from each seasonal cycle of operation and improving on its own advisory generation process over season.
About Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System(RIMES)
- RIMES is an international and intergovernmental institution owned and managed by its Member States for the generation and application of early warning information.
- It was established after the aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami on 30 April 2009 and was registered with the United Nations on 1 July 2009.
- RIMES operates from its regional early warning center located on the campus of the Asian Institute of Technology in Pathumthani, Thailand.
- It is owned and managed by a Council comprising of 48 Members and Collaborating States.Currently,the Government of India chairs the RIMES Council.