News:The Supreme Court has said that a centre should consider granting permanent commission to women officers in the armed forces under the Short Service Commission(SSC) before March 2019.
What is Permanent commission?
- A Permanent Commission means a career in the armed forces till you retire. Permanent Commission Officers continue to serve till the age of superannuation.
- For a Permanent commission in the army you have to join the National Defence Academy or the Indian Military Academy.
What is the Supreme Court’s order?
- The Army had announced permanent commission to women officers who join the forces under Short Service Commission(SSC) after March,2019.
- The Supreme Court has now asked the Centre to retook at granting permanent commission to women officers with retrospective effect and expand the ambit of the benefit to those serving under SSC before March 2019.
- Short Service Commission(SSC) gives the option of joining the Indian Army and serving it as a Commissioned Officer for 5 years.
- Once the tenure is over,the officers are allowed to opt for a Permanent Commission.