- The second phase of river information system (RIS) will be inaugurated between Patna-Farakka stretch of NW-1 in order to boost cargo movement on Ganga.
- RIS is a form of vessel traffic management using next generation technology.
It will help in crisis management and enhanced inland navigation safety by preventing (a) ship-to-ship collisions (b) ship-bridge collisions and (c) groundings.Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) is nodal implementing authority.
- The 2nd phase of RIS will enhance swift electronic data transfer between mobile vessels and base stations on shore through advance and real-time exchange of information.
- The minister will also unveil the new navigation lock at Farakka to enable breeding of Hilsa fish. This fish species has significant cultural importance in West Bengal and is national fish of Bangladesh.
- Fish pass/Fish way is a structure on or around artificial and natural barriers (such as dams, locks and waterfalls) to facilitate natural fish migration. The operation of navigational lock will be regulated to facilitate Hilsa movement from Hoogly-Bhagirathi-River system to the upstream in river Ganga and vice-versa.
2 min read