- Minister of State for Home Affairs has informed Lok sabha about the steps taken by the government to combat terror financing and circulation of fake Indian Currency in the country.
- The minister has said that the government has strengthened the provisions in the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act,1967 by criminalizing the production or smuggling or circulation of high quality counterfeit Indian currency.
- Further,a terror funding and Fake Currency(TFFC) cell has been constituted in National Investigation Agency (NIA) to conduct focused investigation of terror funding and fake currency cases.
- The government has also created FICN Coordination Group (FCORD) to share intelligence information among the security agencies of the states/centre to counter the problem of circulation of fake currency notes.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed between India and Bangladesh to prevent and counter smuggling and circulation of fake currency notes.
- Lastly,security at the international borders has been strengthened by using (a)new surveillance technology (b)deploying additional manpower for round the clock surveillance (c)establishing observation posts along the international border (d)erection of border fencing and (e)intensive patrolling.
2 min read