News:Suranga Bawadi has been included in the World Monument Watch list for 2020 along with 24 other monuments from across the world.
About Suranga Bawadi:
- Suranga Bawadi is an integral part of the ancient Karez system of supplying water through subterranean tunnels built during the Adil Shahi era in Vijayapura,Karnataka.
- The magnificent underground system was built to supply water to the city which had a population of nearly 12 lakh then.
Significance of inclusion:
- Suranga Bawadi has been selected under the ‘Ancient Water System of the Deccan Plateau’ by World Monuments Fund.
- The inclusion will help Suranga Bawadi to get funds for restoration within the next two years.
- The World Monuments Fund would also coordinate with the authorities concerned for restoration and create public awareness on its importance.
About World Monuments Fund:
- World Monuments Fund(WMF) is a private, international, non-profit organization founded in 1965.It is is headquartered in New York,USA.
- It is dedicated to the preservation of historic architecture and cultural heritage sites around the world through fieldwork, advocacy, grantmaking, education, and training.
About World Monuments Watch:
- The World Monuments Watch is a global program launched in 1995 by World Monuments Fund.
- It aims to identify imperiled cultural heritage sites and provide direct financial and technical support for their preservation.
- It is a biennial selection program of at risk cultural heritage sites that combine great historical significance with contemporary social impact.
- It is a nomination-based program that uses cultural heritage conservation to empower communities and improve human well-being.
About Karez System:
- Karez is a water harnessing technology in which groundwater is brought to the surface by a tunnel.
- In this system,no mechanical pump or lift is used.Gravity alone brings the water from the underground source.
- The Karez is found in 38 countries worldwide and most of these are concentrated in the Middle East region.Persia is known for the earliest known and documented Karez system.