- According to the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways data,road accidents in India has killed around 1.5 lakh people every year between 2015 and 2017.
- This works out to a daily average of 400 or more deaths in each of the three years.
- The ministry has also presented state-wise data.Uttar Pradesh has the highest number of deaths in road accidents in each of the three years, followed by Tamil Nadu.
- Further,World Health Organisation (WHO)’s Global Status report on Road Safety has also stated that road accidents are the leading cause of death among people in the 5-29 age-group worldwide.
- According to the report,India might be losing 2,99,000 people each year due to road accidents.However,the government pegs the number of road accident deaths at nearly 1,50,000 people each year.
1 min read