- The Bureau of Police Research and Development(BPR&D) has released a report on “vacancies in the police organization”.
- The report has revealed that there are 5.28 lakh police posts are lying vacant in the police organisation.
- The states with high shortage of police personnel included Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal, Telangana, and Maharashtra while Nagaland is the only state where actual strength exceeded the sanctioned strength.
- The wide difference between sanctioned and actual strength of vacancies can be attributed to reasons like (a)slow recruitment process (b)retirement and (c)untimely deaths.
- BPR&D was established in 1970 with the objective of the modernisation of police forces.It is nodal national police organisation to study,research and develop on subjects and issues related to policing.
- BPR&D functions under the aegis of Union Home Ministry.It is headquartered in New Delhi.Since its formation,it has evolved as a multifaceted,consultancy organisation.
- At present it has 4 divisions which are (a)Research (b)Development, (c)Training and (d)Correctional Administration.
2 min read