- Recently,a self-help group of tribal women in Wayanad,Kerala has decided to launch a project to carry out organic farming over 100 acres possibly making this the largest tribal foray into organic farming.
- The members of this group were guided to organic farming by the Krishi Vigyan Kendra(KVK) under the Kerala Agricultural University (KAU).
- Organic farming is an agricultural system that works in harmony with nature.It largely excludes the use of synthetic inputs such as fertilizers, pesticides, hormones, feed additives among others.
- It relies upon crop rotation, crop residues, animal manures, off-farm organic waste, mineral grade rock additives and biological system of nutrient mobilization and plant protection.
- Self-Help Group (SHG) is a small voluntary association of poor people, preferably from the same socio-economic background.They come together for the purpose of solving their common problems through self-help and mutual help.
1 min read