News:Union Minister has chaired a meeting to fast-track the implementation of Ujh Multipurpose(National) Project,Jammu & Kashmir.
About Ujh Multipurpose(National) Project:
- The project is planned to be constructed in Kathua District of Jammu & Kashmir on the River Ujh, a major tributary of the Ravi river.
- The project will enhance the utilization of waters of Eastern Rivers allotted to India as per the Indus Water Treaty.
About Indus Water Treaty:
- The Indus Waters Treaty,1960 is a water-distribution treaty between India and Pakistan.
- The Indus system comprises of the Indus River, Jhelum, Chenab, Ravi, Beas and Sutlej.The basin is mainly shared by India and Pakistan with a small share for China and Afghanistan.
- Under the Indus treaty, all the waters of three eastern rivers namely Ravi,Sutlej and Beas were allocated to India for exclusive use.
- On the other hand,the waters of Western rivers namely Indus, Jhelum, and Chenab were allocated to Pakistan.But India can use the water in western rivers in non-consumptive needs. Here non-consumptive means we can use it for irrigation, storage and even for electricity production.
India’s Projects on Indus River:
- India has constructed the Bhakra Dam on Sutlej, Pong and Pandoh Dam on Beas and Thein (Ranjitsagar) on Ravi.
- Further,India is constructing several other projects such as Shahpurkandi Project, Ujh multipurpose project among others.