- The United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) has appreciated the Indian Meteorological Department’s pinpoint accuracy of early warnings of Cyclone Fani that has helped authorities conduct a well-targeted evacuation plan and minimise the loss of life.
- Cyclone Fani is the strongest cyclonic storm since the Super Cyclone of 1999 which has claimed close to 10,000 lives and devastated the Odisha coast.The name ”Fani” which is pronounced as “Foni” was suggested by Bangladesh.
- The UNISDR created in December 1999 is the successor to the secretariat of the International Decade for Natural Disaster Reduction.It was established to ensure the implementation of the International Strategy for Disaster Reduction.
- UNISDR is part of the United Nations Secretariat and its functions span the social, economic, environmental as well as humanitarian fields.
- UNISDR supports the implementation,follow-up and review of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction adopted by the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction on 18 March 2015 in Sendai, Japan.
- The “Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030” was adopted during the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction held in Sendai,Japan in March,2015. It outlines targets and priorities for action to prevent new and reduce existing disaster risks
7 min read