News:The United Nations Human Rights Council(UNHRC) has urged India to end the lockdown in Kashmir and restore basic communications services.
- The United Nations Human Rights Council(UNHRC) is a United Nations body.It was was established in 2006.
- Its mission is to promote and protect human rights around the globe as well as investigate alleged human rights violations.
- The council also carries out the Universal Periodic Review of all UN member states which allows civil society groups to bring accusations of human rights violations in member states to the attention of the UN.
- The UNHRC has 47 members elected on a regional group basis from 5 groups.
- The members are elected for a period of three years with a maximum of two consecutive terms.
- The members meet around three times a year to debate human rights issues and pass non-binding resolutions and recommendations by majority vote.