News: UNICEF’s Executive director in open letter outlined eight growing challenges for the world’s children.
Growing Challenges for World’s Children
- Prolonged conflicts,
- Climate crisis,
- Decline in mental health,
- Mass migration
- Population movements,
- Online misinformation.
Recommendations put forward:
- Treatment and rehabilitation for young people affected by mental health issues should be prioritised. Stigma and taboo surrounding mental illness should be challenged so that treatment can be sought and support provided.
- Equip young people with the ability to understand who and what they can trust online, so they can become active, engaged citizens.
- UNICEF, acronym of United Nations Children’s Fund, formerly United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund, was created by the United Nations General Assembly in 1946. It is headquartered in New York, USA.
- It is a special program of the United Nations (UN) devoted to aiding national efforts to improve the health, nutrition, education, and general welfare of children.
United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child
- It sets out the civil, political, economic, social, health and cultural rights of children. It was signed in 1989 and came into force in 1990. India is a party to the convention.