- United States has reopened the military aid to Pakistan after Pakistan Prime Minister met with the US President.
- The US has decided to provide $125 million worth of technical and logistics support for Pakistani F-16 fighter jets.
- The foreign military sale would provide 24/7 end-use monitoring of the F-16s with 60 US contractor representatives being stationed in Pakistan to assist in the oversight of the programme.
- Pakistan currently operates 75 of the F-16s which were acquired under the pretext of the global fight against terrorism and later upgraded with advanced radars, targeting systems, fire-and-forget missiles and precision-guided munitions.
- However,US officials have said that the restoration of the F-16 support programme does not mean the US administration is resuming military aid to Pakistan.
- But India is worried that the US is repeating the same mistakes including restoring Pakistan’s primacy over Afghanistan that allowed it to become a ground for terrorists.
1 min read