- White House has received the proposed changes in the existing regulations to end the work authorisation for spouses of the holders of H-1B visas.
- The H-1B visa is a non-immigrant visa.It allows US companies to employ foreign workers in speciality occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise.Dependents of H-1B visa holders get H-4 visas.
- In 2015, US Citizenship and Immigration Services passed the Employment Authorization for Certain H-4 Dependent Spouses rule More than 90% Employment Authorisation Documents (EAD) issued for H-4 visa beneficiaries since 2015 went to Indians.
- A lawsuit was filed against the H4 EAD rule to stop it from going into motion.It claimed two things:(a) The new rule has no protections for US workers and increases the pool of workers looking for jobs (b) Department of Homeland security never had the authority to grant EADs to H-4 visa holders.
- This issue has cast its shadow over the job prospects of the H4 visa holders
2 min read