- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has issued a draft notification amending the Central Motor Vehicles Rules,1989.
- This amendment will allow motor vehicles and their parts,components, assemblies to be affixed with permanent and nearly invisible microdots that can be read physically with a microscope and identified with ultraviolet light.
- This move is aimed at making India free from vehicle thefts and spurious spare parts.
- Microdots are a globally proven technology to ensure originality in spare parts of machines and components including in the automobile sector.
- The government has envisaged that with microdots becoming a permanent feature in vehicles,identifying them would become easier in case they are stolen.
- The microdot technology involves spraying thousands of microscopic dots onto vehicles or other assets to form a unique identification.
- Each microdot carries this identification which is registered to the owner, but is not visible to the naked eye.Also,duplicate spare parts have been a pet peeve of the auto industry for decades.
2 min read