- The United States has praised India for cooperating in enforcing the oil sanctions on Iran.
- This statement came after India has brought down the import of oil from Iran to almost zero.
- The tensions between the US and Iran have started after US had withdrawn from the 2015 nuclear deal that aimed to curb Iranian nuclear activities.US has since reimposed crippling sanctions affecting the Iranian economy.
- The US had announced sanctions to put maximum economic pressure on Iran and through sanctions it eventually aims to halt Iranian oil exports and thereby choke its main source of revenue.
- India is the world’s third-largest consumer of oil with 85% of its crude oil and 34% of its natural gas requirements being fulfilled by imports. Further,India was the second biggest buyer of Iranian crude oil after China.
1 min read