News:Recently,India has provided a platform for engagement between the Maldives and the Commonwealth Secretariat that could enable Maldives re-entry into the Commonwealth of Nations.
About Commonwealth of Nations:
- Commonwealth of Nations formerly known as British Commonwealth is an international intergovernmental organization of countries that were mostly former territories of the British Empire and dependencies.
- It was established by the London Declaration in 1949.Queen Elizabeth II is the head of the Commonwealth.
- The current membership includes 53 Countries.The membership is based on free and equal voluntary cooperation.
- Commonwealth Heads of Government Meetings(CHOGM) are held every two years to discuss issues of common interest.
- The Commonwealth Secretariat was established in 1965.It is the main intergovernmental agency of the Commonwealth, facilitating consultation and co-operation among member governments and countries.
About Commonwealth Secretariat Arbitral Tribunal(CSAT):
- The Commonwealth Secretariat Arbitral Tribunal was established and operates under a Statute agreed by Commonwealth governments in 1995.
- It plays the role of an arbiter in case of disputes among its 53 member-countries.