News:A Pilot Project for ushering in ‘Industry 4.0’ in the railways has been launched at the Modern Coach Factory (MCF), Raebareli.
About the project:
- The pilot project would be undertaken under the aegis of “Technology Mission for Indian Railways(TMIR).
- It would be implemented by a consortium of Ministry of Railways, Ministry of Human Resource Development and Ministry of Science & Technology.
- The project would be implemented on an investment sharing model for taking up identified railway projects for applied research and use on Indian Railways for advancement and modernization.
- The fourth Industrial Revolution describes the present technological age ongoing in 21st century that has come up since the first such revolution took place in the 18th century.
- It is a name given to the current trend of automation, inter-connectivity and data exchange in manufacturing technologies to increase productivity.
- The 4th industrial revolution includes cyber-physical systems, the Internet of things, big data analytics, cloud computing, cognitive computing, artificial intelligence, 3-D printing, and autonomous vehicles among others.
India and 4th industrial revolution:
- India has become the fourth country in the world where World Economic Forum has opened its centre for Fourth Industrial Revolution.
- Hence,India is preparing for a massive digital and technological transformation.
- The centre for Fourth Industrial Revolution works as a network that includes USA, China and Japan.
- The centre would be based in Maharashtra and it has selected drones, artificial intelligence and blockchain as the first three project areas.
- NITI Aayog will coordinate the partnership on behalf of the government and the work of the centre among multiple ministries.