- The Supreme Court has referred petitions challenging the abrogation of Article 370 and bifurcation of the state of Jammu & Kashmir into two Union Territories to a five-judge Constitution bench.
- The apex court decision came after the Parliament has passed the Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 2019.The order effectively abrogates the special status accorded to Jammu and Kashmir under the provision of Article 370.
- Further,the Parliament has also passed the Jammu and Kashmir (Reorganisation) Bill,2019.The bill bifurcates the State into two separate union territories of Jammu and Kashmir(with legislature) and Ladakh (without legislature).
- The petitioner has claimed that the Presidential order was illegal as it was passed without taking consent from the J&K state Assembly.
- The petitioners also referred to the 2015 Jammu and Kashmir High Court ruling which said that Article 370 was a permanent feature of the Constitution.
1 min read