- Pakistan has claimed that the Kohinoor diamond which is in the collection of famous jewels of the British royals belongs to Lahore museum.Hence,it should be returned back to Pakistan.Further,it is not just India and Pakistan that is claiming the ownership of the diamond.It also includes Afghanistan.
- The Kohinoor diamond was originally owned by the Kakatiya Dynasty, which had installed it in a temple of a Hindu goddess as her eye.
- In 1849, after the conquest of the Punjab by the British forces,the properties of the Sikh Empire were confiscated.
- The Kohinoor was then transferred to the treasury of the British East India Company in Lahore.The properties of the Sikh Empire were taken as war compensations.It passed through the hands of various invaders and was finally appropriated by the British.Today the diamond is a part of the Crown of Queen Elizabeth II.
- The return of Kohinoor diamond to India has been a long-standing demand with many claiming that the diamond was taken forcibly.The fight to get back the diamond has been ongoing since India’s independence
2 min read