News:Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs has released a special commemorative coin on Paramahansa Yogananda to mark his 125th birth anniversary.
About Paramahansa Yogananda:
- Paramahansa Yogananda(1893–1952) is considered one of the preeminent spiritual figures of modern times.
- He was the author of the best-selling spiritual classic Autobiography of a Yogi.
- He went to America in 1920 from India and was the first great master of yoga to live and teach in the West.
- He introduced millions to teachings of meditation and Kriya Yoga through his organization Self-Realization Fellowship (SRF) / Yogoda Satsanga Society(YSS) of India.
About Kriya Yoga:
- Kriya Yoga is an ancient meditation technique of energy and breath control, or pranayama.
- It is part of a comprehensive spiritual path which includes additional meditation practices along with right living.
- The Kriya technique was hidden in secrecy for many centuries.It was revived in 1861 when the great yogi Mahavatar Babaji taught the technique to his disciple Lahiri Mahasaya.
- Yogananda then popularized Kriya Yoga through his book, Autobiography of a Yogi and through his public teachings in the West.