- The government, in the interim budget, 2019, has announced Pradhan Mantri Shram-Yogi Maandhan, a pension scheme for workers in the unorganised sector whose income is up to Rs 15,000 per month.
- Under the scheme, an assured monthly pension of Rs. 3000 rupees per month will be provided to workers in the unorganised sector after 60 years of age.
- To avail the scheme, workers have to contribute an amount ranging from ₹55 to ₹100 each month, depending on their age, at the time of joining the scheme and equal contribution would be paid by the government.
- Critics have raised concerns on two issues. Firstly, The funds allocated for the scheme undermines finance for National Social Assistance Programme (NSAP) which is a social security and welfare programme for poor aged persons, widows and disabled persons.
- Secondly, The effectiveness of the scheme is doubtable. This is because given that the informal sector workers might refrain from voluntarily contributing to the scheme as their salaries are low.
2 min read