Skip to content
- Former President of India, Pranab Mukherjee has
been conferred the Bharat Ratna award.
- The award has also been given posthumously to
social activist Nanaji Deshmukh and noted Assamese singer Bhupen Hazarika.
- Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian award of
India. It is given for exceptional service towards advancement of Art,
Literature and Science, and in recognition of Public Service of the highest
- The provision of Bharat Ratna was introduced in
1954. The first recipients of the award were scientists Chandrasekhara Venkata
Raman, Rajagopalachari and Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan.
- The ward had had also been given to non-Indian –
Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan and Nelson Mandela.