News: A Price Monitoring and Resource Unit(PMRU) has been set up in Karnataka under the aegis of National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority(NPPA), Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers.
- PMRU: It is a registered society which functions under the direct control and supervision of State Drug Controllers.
- To assist NPPA in monitoring prices of drugs, ensuring availability of drugs and raising consumer awareness.
- To act as collaborating partners of NPPA with information gathering mechanisms at the grass-roots level.
- To render necessary technical assistance to both the NPPA and the respective State Drug Controllers of States/ Union Territories.
- Composition: The Board of Governors of PMRU includes the representatives from Central Government and State Government concerned and other stakeholders.
- Note: NPPA under its Central Sector Scheme “Consumer Awareness, Publicity and Price Monitoring(CAPPM)” has set up PMRUs in 12 States/ UTs.The expenses of the PMRUs are borne by NPPA under the Scheme.
- NPPA: It is an independent body set up in 1997 under the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers.
- Mandate: To fix/revise controlled bulk drugs prices and formulations, enforce prices and availability of medicines under the Drug(Price Control) order, 2013.