- The Defence Ministry has approved the proposal to restructure the Army Headquarters.
- The aim of the restructuring of army headquarters is (a)to enhance the operational and functional efficiency (b)optimise budget expenditure (c)facilitate force modernisation and (d)address aspirations.
- The army has decided to create a new Deputy Chief (Sustenance) who is going to look after all procurements.The Master-General Ordnance will report to the Deputy Chief to bring all ammunition under one head.
- Currently, the Army has two Deputy Chiefs,one for information systems and training and the other for planning and systems.These functions are being brought under one authority to avoid overlapping.
- A new post of Additional Director-General (ADG),Vigilance is being created who will report directly to the Army chief.There will be a new position of ADG(Human Resources) who shall take proactive action on HR violations.
- The entire training function will move under the Army Training Command (ARTRAC) which will be shifted from Shimla to Meerut.
- Further,the Director-General,Rashtriya Rifles (RR) now based in Delhi, will be moved to Udhampur under an Additional Director-General where the Northern Command is located.
2 min read