- Recently,National Monuments Authority(NMA) has given the go-ahead for the development of houses in the regulated zone of the 500-year-old Golconda Fort and Qutub Shahi Tombs Complex in Hyderabad.
- This location is near the Patancheru Darwaza (gate) and in the line of sight of both monuments.The construction will block the visual continuity that has existed for centuries between the two locations.
- The Patancheru Darwaza was an important passage in the old road from the Inner Fort to the site of Old Golconda.The gate was the link to Golconda origins.
- Further,conservation effort by the Telangana government in tandem with the Aga Khan Trust for Culture has transformed the Qutb Shahi monuments into a must-visit site.
- Telangana government has also applied for World Heritage Site(WHS) status for Golconda-Qutub Shahi Tombs in 2014.But to secure a WHS it is necessary that the pedestrian linkage is restored along the original route used by the Qutb Shahis.This space is also extremely significant visually to retain the heritage character of the two sites.
- A World Heritage Site is a landmark or area which is selected by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as having cultural,historical, scientific or other form of significance, and is legally protected by international treaties.The sites are judged important to the collective interests of humanity.
6 min read