- The US President has signed an order that targets Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and associates with additional financial sanctions.
- Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is Iran’s spiritual leader and highest authority.He has the final say over all political affairs in Iran.
- The US said that Iran’s supreme leader was singled out because he was ultimately responsible for the hostile conduct of the regime.
- These sanctions will also be targeted at senior Iranian commanders who sit atop a bureaucracy that supervises the elite Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps(IRGC).
- The US administration is tightening the squeeze on already applied oil and financial sanctions and waiting to see if Iran will eventually be forced to accept negotiations.
- The US is demanding that Iran end its nuclear programme,curb its missile production and stop support for partner Arab militias.
- Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps(IRGC) was set up 40 years ago to defend the country’s Islamic system and to provide a counterweight to the regular armed forces.
- It has since become a major military,political and economic force in Iran, with close ties to Iran’s Supreme Leader and many other senior figures.
5 min read