- Yellow-Vests protestors looted and vandalised shops and restaurants located along the Champs-Elysees avenue in Paris,France.
- The yellow vests movement or yellow jackets movement is a populist, grassroots political movement for economic justice that began in France in November 2018.
- The activists are dressed in yellow vests referred to as “gilets jaunes”.
The yellow vests get their name from the high-visibility jackets all motorists in France are obliged to carry with them.
- The trigger to the unrest was the ‘eco-tax’.Eco tax is a fuel tax hike imposed with the intention of cutting carbon emission to help transition the country into a low-emission economy.However the protests grew against the imposition of this tax as it raised the fuel prices.
- There are two common themes that unite the yellow vest (a)They want the French government to lower fuel taxes,reinstate rural post offices, increase their ‘purchasing power’,cut property taxes and hire more doctors for rural clinics and (b)The have a very wide geographical expansion.It is spread out across metropolitan France and even overseas.
2 min read